As an emerging business discipline, change management can generate the competitive edge that an innovative business strategy and today’s market demands. Whether it is a significant investment in technology, a product launch, or the revitalization of an operating business model, change management is at the crux of realizing the benefits of those investments, and bringing a strategic vision to life.
At Osborne Interim Management we understand the issues, the challenges, and the opportunities. With our team of experienced executives and our expertise in change management, we can help our clients manage the challenges and create solutions for success.
Change Management Challenges
- Accelerated change, pervasive market uncertainty, and evolving corporate priorities creating change complexity and inertia.
- A blurring of lines between home and work demanding changes to corporate culture.
- Dramatically changing workforce and employer/employee relationships.
- Proliferation of media and engagement approaches and tools for both internal and external stakeholders.
- Extended stakeholder accountability with intensified focus on “triple bottom line” impacts of people, profit, and planet.
- A demand for more immediate value-add and test and learn adoption cycles requiring more sophisticated approaches to strategic implementation.
- Emergence of new business models of joint ventures, strategic partnerships, and formalized “skunk-works” requiring organizational capabilities that test traditional hierarchy.
- Shifts in social power demanding the highest standards of privacy and data management, while simultaneously requiring enhanced transparency and accountability.
Change Management Opportunities
- A vibrant and aligned corporate culture: cultural assessment and leadership development.
- Engaged and motivated employees: employee health check and employee engagement support.
- Captured benefits from transformational change: new market development, systems implementations, mergers and acquisitions, re-branding, product and/or line of business launch or attrition, new leadership, employee up-skilling, distribution channel launch or sales acceleration activities, operations, and client service enhancements.
- Supported delivery of change management tools and practices: cultural assessments, stakeholder analysis, impact assessments, readiness assessments, post-implementation reviews, embed and sustain activities.
- Supported delivery of change management tactics: leadership/sponsorship initiatives, communications, coaching, training and change adoption measurement and adjustment activities.
- Change adoption assessments and measurement.
Who Can Help
Provincial Not-for-Profit Organization Delivers Cultural Change
The organization experienced exponential growth and required an increased culture of discipline and delegation to deal with the change. The senior financial team resigned, and a new team was needed to put in place financial best practices to align with the new organizational structure.
The Osborne Principal assessed the financial functions and resources, determined gaps, and presented a list of alternatives and solutions. The Osborne Principal then led a new financial team to implement the suggested solutions.
Changes supported through this engagement included: optimization of the corporate culture; enhanced resource allocations and capabilities alignment; implementation of appropriate tools to support work effectiveness; routines to enhance communications and up-skilling; and tactics to ensure the sustainment of the change, including an interim resource assignment.
Engineering Firm Embraces Change Management with Direct Benefit to the Bottom Line
An Alberta-based engineering company with a strong revenue base, identified external market challenges requiring a pivot in their strategic direction and business model.
Acting as trusted advisors, the Osborne Principals provided a business review to identify target areas that needed to be addressed and a process by which to get there. Areas included project management, accounting and reporting issues, information technology challenges, change management and facilitation of partner accountability sessions.
The identified challenges were acted on by the Partners, with the Osborne Principals’ help, to enhance their business processes and improve their bottom line.
Agricultural Manufacturing Firm Achieves Enhanced Pricing Changes
A mid-sized ag sector company required a significant shift in their product and service portfolio to create enhanced longer-term sustainability.
Support included research, analysis and recommendations for the creation and delivery of products and services that could generate revenue as part of a drive to longer term sustainability.
Change management tactics incorporated into strategic recommendations included: extensive stakeholder engagement activities in particular with client groups, a test and learn iterative approach to price modelling through initial stages of implementation, and changes to the client segmentation strategy to provide a more tailored approach to specific target groups.
Representative Change Management Assignments
- Cultural assessments in support of business transformation and strategic realignment with supported facilitation of leadership sessions and change strategy/implementation planning
- Coaching and mentoring through times of significant change
- Mergers and acquisitions integrations with reduced disruption
- Product portfolio changes with accelerated go-to-market and employee/client adoption of change
- Business approaches in support of sales acceleration through effective process and tool implementation
- Operational effectiveness supported by effective current state analysis, detailed impact assessments, timely training and readiness assessments, and a committed approach to adaptation through monitoring of change adoption measures
- Leadership development, training, communications, and change adoption support
“We engaged Osborne Interim Management to redesign our outdated website, wanting to modernize the design and make it easier to read and understand. Working with little direction and with a short time frame, Osborne was able to produce a dynamic, fresh and user-friendly website on time and under budget.”
David Dial – VP Corporate Services, Next Hydrogen
“Osborne Interim Management provided invaluable assistance to us as we merged three different operating entities into the new 4-H Alberta. Mark Olson as Interim CEO of the 4-H Foundation and Judy Williams as communications strategist played a significant role in our transformation and I would highly recommend their/Osborne’s services.”
Kim McConnell – Former Interim CEO, 4-H Alberta
“The Osborne Principals assisted us in identifying areas of improvement, then worked with us to make their recommended changes. Their actions have had a positive impact on the way we operate our business.”
Andy McKnight – Partner, Maskell Plenzik & Partners Eng.
“We engaged Osborne Interim Management to assess the capacity of our Canadian Operations in the wake of ambitious five year growth plans. Not only did the Osborne Principals deliver a thorough report, but they provided us with valuable tools to undertake ongoing analysis and forecasting based on a number of Canadian market variables.”
Elias Partyka – Director of Global Marketing, Gowan Company, Yuma Arizona
“As a young charity, early guidance from the Osborne Interim Management team provided timely direction as we developed the YouQuest service in support of younger families living with dementia. It was energizing to learn from each team member and very rewarding to feel their personal interest in our progress and future success.”
Myrla Burlman – Co-founder, YouQuest
“I would recommend Osborne Interim Management’s approach for any organization looking to add coaching and mentorship into their workplace for senior and mid-management staff.”
Randy Williams – President, Premiere Suites Western
“We engaged Osborne to undertake a thorough assessment of our business and the marketplace which involved interviewing multiple stakeholders in the development of a five year strategic plan. We were more than pleased with the results and wouldn’t hesitate to refer the quality of their work to others.”
Dave Hansen – President & CEO, CANTERRA SEEDS
“For organizations looking for interim executive support, I would highly recommend Osborne Interim Management. They provided us with a quality CFO until we could hire a full-time replacement for this position. It was a seamless, effective process.”
Sandip Lalli – CEO, Calgary Chamber of Commerce
“We contracted Osborne Interim Management to help transition our Foundation into the future with stronger processes, plans and leadership. We were very pleased with the results and would highly recommend their work.”
Reiny Kristel – Board Chair, Stockmen’s Memorial Foundation
“The Osborne Principals our business has engaged have delivered important support to our business in a number of areas and provided excellent value.”
Barry Schmitt – President, Barr-Ag
“On behalf of the Chiniki Nation, I would like to express my appreciation and gratitude for the remarkable work you have done in creating the Chiniki Cultural Centre. Your contribution to bringing our culture to the public, in an authentic and respectful way, has been invaluable. We appreciated your approach and your ability to bring people together in creating this special Centre where our people can celebrate their culture. We take great pride in our traditions, our culture and our history. You have created a place where those traditions can be celebrated and shared.”
Chief Aaron Young – Chiniki First Nation
“The interim management resources we brought in for a short time provided an organized overview of our HR functionality, helped to achieve a couple of senior level executive transitions without disruption and generally helped us to build a stronger organization going forward. We feel better prepared for next steps now.”
Peter Joe – CEO, Sunrise Soya Foods
“Mark Olson has completed his work as Interim CEO for Glenbow Ranch Park Foundation. This is his third assignment as an interim CEO for a not-for-profit organization that I am involved with as a Director, so I am familiar with his work. The fact that I have engaged him twice more after the first speaks volumes. You can count on a good result.”
Andy Crooks – Chairman of the Board, Glenbow Ranch Park Foundation
“I want to convey that Osborne would be a valuable resource for entities looking to engage the types of services they offer. I would not hesitate to refer someone to Osborne in the future.”
Heather Gore-Hickman – Trustee & Chair of Audit Committee, Kisoniyaminaw First Nations Heritage Trust Fund
“Osborne provided us with the interim management and business advisory services we needed at a critical juncture for the company. I would highly recommend them.”
Dr. Kevin Maloney – Board Chair, Line of Fire Inc.
“Osborne Interim was able to provide us with a Principal who helped guide us through a technology start-up. His extensive business experience complemented the technical expertise we bring to the table and he continues to provide support and assistance to allow us to smoothly bring our product to market.”
David Lloyd – COO, FREDsense Technologies
“Following the sudden departure of our CEO, Osborne responded immediately with a very qualified interim senior executive on site within days. He was able to hit the ground running, reassuring staff and implementing business processes that greatly assisted our operation. He reached out to stakeholders within the greater Habitat community and communicated recommendations to the Board. Osborne also assigned another executive with experience in recruitment to assist us in attracting and triaging talent for the full time CEO position. The end result was the hiring of a dynamic new leader transitioned in with Osborne’s support. I would highly recommend Osborne Interim Management to any organization finding itself in a similar situation.”
James Wright – Board Chair, Habitat for Humanity-Red Deer
“I have worked with both Mark Olson and Simon Batcup on a number of assignments. I would recommend them to you in any interim management, search mandate, planning mandate or strategic advisory mandate. You will not be disappointed and will regard any and all invoices and costs as both fair and appropriate.”
Andy Crooks – Chairman of the Board, Canadian Constitution Foundation
“With Osborne’s assistance, we validated our business concept in the marketplace and identified potential partners for our social enterprise, giving us more than a kickstart at launch. They listened to our goals and objectives, completed all work on time, and exceeded our expectations and the plan scope. We would recommend their services without reservation.”
Garth Johnson – CEO, Meticulon
“The Calgary International Film Festival contracted Osborne to develop, with senior management support, a capacity expansion plan that was strategic, specific and attainable. Osborne delivered on all counts and on schedule; receiving unanimous Board approval to move forward in the plan’s execution. I would not hesitate in recommending the Osborne team.”
Stephen Schroeder – Executive Director, Calgary International Film Festival